Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, April 06, 2009

D&C 117

In our earthly desires to acquire the comforts of life the Lord teaches a greater perspective commanding the saints to -

"...repent of all their sins, and of all their covetous desires, before me, saith the Lord; for what is property unto me?..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 117:4)

He explains to those of faith -

"...have I not the fowls of heaven, and also the fish of the sea, and the beasts of the mountains? Have I not made the earth? Do I not hold the destinies of all the armies of the nations of the earth?
7 Therefore, will I not make solitary places to bud and to blossom, and to bring forth in abundance?..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 117:6 - 7)

"Is there not room enough...that you should covet that which is but the drop, and neglect the more weighty matters?" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 117:8)

The Lord has promised those who magnify their callings considering the more "weighty matters" -

"...all that my Father hath shall be given unto him." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:38)

Which makes much more sense as the Lord said "that which is but the drop" in things.

President Spencer W. Kimball related this experience -

"One man I know of was called to a position of service in the Church, but he felt that he couldn’t accept because his investments required more attention and more of his time than he could spare for the Lord’s work. He left the service of the Lord in search of Mammon, and he is a millionaire today.

But I recently learned an interesting fact: If a man owns a million dollars worth of gold at today’s prices, he possesses approximately one 27-billionth of all the gold that is present in the earth’s thin crust alone. This is an amount so small in proportion as to be inconceivable to the mind of man. But there is more to this: The Lord who created and has power over all the earth created many other earths as well, even ‘worlds without number’ (Moses 1:33); and when this man received the oath and covenant of the priesthood (D&C 84:33–44), he received a promise from the Lord of ‘all that my Father hath’ (v. 38). To set aside all these great promises in favor of a chest of gold and a sense of carnal security is a mistake in perspective of colossal proportions. To think that he has settled for so little is a saddening and pitiful prospect indeed; the souls of men are far more precious than this." (“The False Gods We Worship,” Ensign, June 1976, p. 5.)