Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, March 30, 2009

D&C 111

As the Prophet and several associates went to Salem, Massachusetts to investigate the claim that there was money or a treasure available there to payChurch debts, the Lord said -

"I, THE Lord your God, am not displeased with your coming this journey, notwithstanding your follies." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 111:1)

It sounds like the Lord knew the intent of their hearts and was pleased even though their search was fruitless. But as the Lord has taught -

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD." (Old Testament Isaiah 55:8)

It appears that the Lord was teaching there were other great treasures (not necessarily all monetary treasures) available to them in that great city. He said -

"I have much treasure in this city for you, for the benefit of Zion, and many people in this city, whom I will gather out in due time for the benefit of Zion, through your instrumentality." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 111:2)

The treasure seems to be more of a treasure of His people than money. It also seems there is a treasure of the Prophet's ancestory or family history in that city as the Lord said -

"...inquire diligently concerning the more ancient inhabitants and founders of this city..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 111:9)

Which is why Paul taught -

"Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?" (New Testament 1 Corinthians 15:29)

The Lord concludes this revelation with -

"For there are more treasures than one for you in this city." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 111:10)

The Lord sees things so much different that we do.

For there are more treasures than one for you in this city.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 111:10)