Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

D&C 112

In a revelation to Thomas Marsh, the Lord described the last days saying -

"...I say unto you, darkness covereth the earth, and gross darkness the minds of the people, and all flesh has become corrupt before my face.
24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:23 - 24)

But what is interesting is what he reveals next -

"And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:25)

He then explains why these great tribulations will begin amongst the saints -

"First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:26)

The tribulations will begin in the last days due to the disobedience and unfaithfulness of some within the Chuch. The Lord's counsel then is -

"Therefore, see to it that ye trouble not yourselves concerning the affairs of my church in this place, saith the Lord.
28 But purify your hearts before me; and then go ye into all the world, and preach my gospel unto every creature who has not received it..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 112:27 - 28)

It seems those that concern themselves with the "affairs of my church" are those that are on the road to apostasy if they do not repent. Our obligation is to follow the Lord's called servants. We know that severe judgements feel upon the saint is Missouri due to the fact they did not abide by celestial law. President Brigham Young said -

"If the Latter-day Saints do not desist from running after the things of this world, and begin to reform and do the work the Father has given them to do, they will be found wanting, and they, too, will be swept away and counted as unprofitable servants" (in Journal of Discourses, 18:262).

And President Joseph Field Smith wrote -

"All of these things will be withheld while the nations are being punished, if the members of the Church will keep faithfully their commandments. If they will not, then we have received the warning that we, like the rest of the world, shall suffer His wrath in justice." (Progress of Man, p. 468.)