Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 26, 2009

D&C 110

As Latter-day Saints, we should remember in great gratitude the sacrifices of our forefathers in the blessings of the temple we now enjoy. The early saints sacrificed beyond measure in building the Kirtland Temple that we might receive these great blessings. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught -

"...if a man would attain to the keys of the kingdom of an endless life; he must sacrifice all things..." (Teachings, p. 322)

This is what those early saints did for us. Can you imagine the joy of these early saints as the Lord said to the Prophet -

"...behold, I have accepted this house, and my name shall be here..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 110:7)

It was because of their great sacrifice the Lord promised -

"...I will manifest myself to my people in mercy in this house.
8 Yea, I will appear unto my servants, and speak unto them with mine own voice, if my people will keep my commandments, and do not pollute this holy house.
9 Yea the hearts of thousands and tens of thousands shall greatly rejoice in consequence of the blessings which shall be poured out, and the endowment with which my servants have been endowed in this house.
10 And the fame of this house shall spread to foreign lands; and this is the beginning of the blessing which shall be poured out upon the heads of my people." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 110:7 - 10)

Today, we have receive the great blessings of restored keys that were restored that very day in His holy house because of their sacrifice. Is it any wonder -

"...Elias appeared, and committed the dispensation of the gospel of Abraham, saying that in us and our seed all generations after us should be blessed." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 110:12)

Elder Franklin D. Richards said -

"The Saints did all the work they could on the building, and then went out and obtained work here and there, and with the money they earned they purchased those things that were necessary for its completion. It was done by sacrificing all that they had; and when we had done all that we could do, Oh! how joyous it was to know the Lord accepted the work, when He stood upon the breastwork of the Temple, conversed with the Prophet Joseph and Oliver, and revealed to them their duties, and informed them that the Gospel should go from there and be preached throughout the nations of the earth." (In Conference Report, Apr. 1898, p. 17.)