Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 02, 2009

D&C 115

As I read today the Lord's declaration to His priesthood leaders including -

"...my servant Edward Partridge, and his counselors..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 115:2)

to -

"...Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 115:5)

my thoughts seemed to focus on Edward Partridge. Early in the organization of the Church -


"...The Prophet said that Edward Partridge "was a pattern of piety, and one of the Lord's great men." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 36:Heading)

The Lord called Edward Partridge to be the first Bishop saying -

"I have called my servant Edward Partridge; and I give a commandment, that he should be appointed by the voice of the church, and ordained a bishop unto the church, to leave his merchandise and to spend all his time in the labors of the church..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:9)

That was a significant charge requiring a great deal of sacrifice on behalf of Bishop Partridge. And he was reminded -

"...that if he transgress another shall be appointed in his stead." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 42:10)

It was to Bishop Partridge that the Lord gave the responsibility to administer the "united order" in Zion saying -

"...let my servant Edward Partridge, and those whom he has chosen, in whom I am well pleased, appoint unto this people their portions, every man equal according to his family, according to his circumstances and his wants and needs." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 51:3)

With other revelations, it becomes apparent that Bishop Partridge was not perfect in his calling as the Lord said -

"...in this thing my servant Edward Partridge is not justified; nevertheless let him repent and he shall be forgiven." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 50:39)

"... I have sent you hither, and have selected my servant Edward Partridge, and have appointed unto him his mission in this land.
15 But if he repent not of his sins, which are unbelief and blindness of heart, let him take heed lest he fall.
16 Behold his mission is given unto him, and it shall not be given again." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 58:14 - 16)

"...my servant Edward Partridge, behold, he hath sinned, and Satan seeketh to destroy his soul; but when these things are made known unto them, and they repent of the evil, they shall be forgiven." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:17)

My thoughts today is that Bishop Partridge was not perfect nor are many bishops of today - even though they sacrifice a great deal. It seems the Bishop Partridge continued to strive to be better and repented as needed. We as members should show greater patience for bishops. I find it interesting after all this, the Lord later said speaking of Lyman Wight -

"That when he shall finish his work I may receive him unto myself, even as I did my servant David Patten, who is with me at this time, and also my servant Edward Partridge, and also my aged servant Joseph Smith, Sen., who sitteth with Abraham at his right hand, and blessed and holy is he, for he is mine." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 124:19)

What really matters is then how we serve and strive to serve.