Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 20, 2008

D&C 41

Shortly after the Prophet Joseph Smith had gathered to the Ohio, the Lord said -

"Hearken, O ye elders of my church whom I have called, behold I give unto you a commandment, that ye shall assemble yourselves together to agree upon my word..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:2)

This is the very purpose of priesthood meetings and priesthood leadership meetings, to be guided by the Spirit to agree upon the words of the Lord. The Lord continued with the method and additional purpose to agree upon His words -

"And by the prayer of your faith ye shall receive my law, that ye may know how to govern my church and have all things right before me." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:3)

Again suggesting that we need the guidance of the Holy Spirit to know or understand His will in governing the Church. Elders are to work diligently to agree without contention for -

"...he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 11:29)

The Savior taught of the importance of being in unity -

"...I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:27)

Elder Harold B. Lee taught -

“If we are not united, we are not his. Here unity is the test of divine ownership as thus expressed. If we would be united in love and fellowship and harmony, this Church would convert the world, who would see in us the shining example of these qualities which evidence that divine ownership. Likewise, if in that Latter-day Saint home the husband and wife are in disharmony, bickering, and divorce is threatened, there is an evidence that one or both are not keeping the commandments of God.

If we, in our wards and our branches, are divided, and there are factions not in harmony, it is but an evidence that there is something wrong. If two persons are at variance, arguing on different points of doctrine, no reasonable, thinking persons would say that both were speaking their different opinions by the Spirit of the Lord. . . .

If it is so important, then, that this people be a united people, we might well expect that upon this principle the powers of Satan would descend for their greatest attack. We might well expect, also, that if there be those of apostate mind among us, they would be inclined to ridicule and to scorn this principle of oneness and unity as being narrow-minded or as being unprogressive. We would likewise expect that those who are enemies would also seek to fight against that principle.” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1950, pp. 97–98.)

As we come to understand and agree upon His word and law, the Lord said -

"He that receiveth my law and doeth it, the same is my disciple; and he that saith he receiveth it and doeth it not, the same is not my disciple, and shall be cast out from among you..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:5)