Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

D&C 36

One single scripture seemed to jump out to me this morning. In a revelation given to Edward Partridge in preaching the repentance, the Lord said for him to say to all people -

"...Save yourselves from this untoward generation, and come forth out of the fire, hating even the garments spotted with the flesh." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 36:6)

We know that in the exodus of the children of Israel from Egypt, they were to burn their close when spotted with the residual of diseases. Spiritually, we have the same charge, to repent and burn our garments from the residual of sin. But not only burn but "hate" the sin. In other words, hate or lose any desire to sin. Jude taught the same thing -

"...others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh." (New Testament Jude 1:23)

Nephi feared the same and prayed -

"...Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?" (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:31)

In modern day the Lord has commanded -

"Go ye out from among the nations, even from Babylon, from the midst of wickedness, which is spiritual Babylon." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:14)

"Go ye out from Babylon. Be ye clean that bear the vessels of the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 133:5)

The Lord commanded Lot and his wife to move forward and not look back -

But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
(Old Testament Genesis 19:26)

When we repent, we not only must keep His commandments but not look back or long for Babylon. We must come to hate the garments that are spotted with flesh.