Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

D&C 29

During His mortal ministry, the Savior said to those at Jerusalem -

"...how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (New Testament Matthew 23:37)

He repeated the same analogy to those in ancient America and again in modern day -

"LISTEN to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, the Great I AM, whose arm of mercy hath atoned for your sins;
2 Who will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:1 - 2)

But with the following condition -

"...even as many as will hearken to my voice and humble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:2)

As I ponder the meaning of this analogy, I cannot help but picturev in my mind a mother hen who, when danger appears to threaten her chicks, begins to flap her wings and clucking excitedly. The young chickens, although they may be scattered all over the yard, instantly obey the call of the hen and scurry, with little pride, under the protection of her wings. The Lord's analogy is the same for us. He has warned us with His voice -

"HEARKEN, O ye people of my church, saith the voice of him who dwells on high, and whose eyes are upon all men; yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together.
2 For verily the voice of the Lord is unto all men..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:1 - 2)

He has told us of His voice -

"...I, Jesus Christ, your Lord and your God, have spoken it.
34 These words are not of men nor of man, but of me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and not of man;
35 For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them;
36 Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:33 - 36)

All He asks is that we hearken to His voice, we humbly gather for protection, and we continually call on Him in mighty prayer. He explains the gathering of His chicks under His wings for protection as -

"...ye are called to bring to pass the gathering of mine elect; for mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts;
8 Wherefore the decree hath gone forth from the Father that they shall be gathered in unto one place upon the face of this land, to prepare their hearts and be prepared in all things against the day when tribulation and desolation are sent forth upon the wicked." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:7 - 8)

We learn in later revelations -

"...that the gathering together upon the land of Zion, and upon her stakes, may be for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 115:6)

It is then stakes, wards and branches where to Lord gather saints under His wings where the humble call upon the Lord in mighty prayer.