Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, November 14, 2008

D&C 33

In a previous revelation, the Lord taught -

"...ye are called to bring to pass the gathering of mine elect; for mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:7)

Again the Lord said -

"...even so will I gather mine elect from the four quarters of the earth, even as many as will believe in me, and hearken unto my voice." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 33:6)

The Savior in His mortal ministry prophesied that in the last days -

"...there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect." (New Testament Matthew 24:24)

"Mine elect" suggests that these are they who will hear, take heed, and obey the word of the Lord. I'm sure there was an "election" or foreordination that took place in our pre-mortal existence. Even in this life, those that live worthily, are also elected or anointed for great blessings in the the hereafter if they continue to hear His voice and not harden their hearts.

Elder Bruce R. McConkies taught -

“The elect of God comprise a very select group, an inner circle of faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are the portion of church members who are striving with all their hearts to keep the fulness of the gospel law in this life so that they can become inheritors of the fulness of gospel rewards in the life to come.” (McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p. 217.)