Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 13, 2008

D&C 30

After a conference held in September 1830, David Whitmer received a mild rebuke as the Lord said -

"...David, that you have feared man and have not relied on me for strength as you ought.
2 But your mind has been on the things of the earth more than on the things of me, your Maker, and the ministry whereunto you have been called; and you have not given heed unto my Spirit, and to those who were set over you, but have been persuaded by those whom I have not commanded." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 30:1 - 2)

As a result of his failure to be deligent in that which he was charged, the Lord then provides this loving council -

"Wherefore, you are left to inquire for yourself at my hand, and ponder upon the things which you have received." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 30:3)

It seems the Lord is saying that for the time being, by His own hand, David is goint to be left to inquire for himself or to reflect, ponder, and meditate upon the his failures and the consequences including and all the blessings he has received. Just like David Whitmer, we all fail or fall short at times in that which we should be doing. The Lord has instructed us to stop, think and repent. The Lord said much the same to Israel saying -

"Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways." (Old Testament Haggai 1:5)

We need to take time regularly to ponder, meditate, and "consider our ways". President Monson recently wrote -

"President David O. McKay would frequently suggest the need for us to turn from the hectic day-to-day schedule filled with letters to answer, calls to be made, people to see, meetings to attend, and take time to meditate, to ponder, and to reflect on the eternal truths and the sources of the joy and happiness which comprise each person’s quest.

When we do, the mundane, the mechanical, the repetitious patterns of our lives yield to the spiritual qualities, and we acquire a much-needed dimension which inspires our daily living. When I follow this counsel, thoughts of family, experiences with friends, and treasured memories of special days and quiet nights course through my mind and bring a sweet repose to my being." (Thomas S. Monson, “Gifts,” Ensign, May 1993, 59)