Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

D&C 10

With the writings of family members, we know that the Prophet Joseph Smith experienced great remorse and humiliation with the loss of the 116 pages of translation. The Prophet must have experienced a great deal of rejoicing and renewing as the Lord returned the plates and instruments telling him -

"...it is now restored unto you again; therefore see that you are faithful and continue on unto the finishing of the remainder of the work of translation as you have begun." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 10:3)

One would expect a renewed commitment of Joseph in accomplishing the work to which the Lord warned -

"Do not run faster or labor more than you have strength and means provided to enable you to translate; but be diligent unto the end." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 10:4)

I sense the Lord is telling him to be zealous, but not over-zealous. When we become over-zealous in our callings, we have a tendency to lose wisdom and the perception of that which is most important. We want to accomplish at all cost. This over-zealousness can lead to poor decisions and relationships with others - especially spouse and family. We read that Zeniff was over-zealous and look at the deal he made with King Limhi. Not long after, King Benjamin counseled his people -

"...see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 4:27)

Yet even as the Lord counseled the Prophet, King Benjamin continued -

"...And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 4:27)

As we serve with others in the Church, we may not always understand their personal situations and conditions. We must be careful judging their "diligence". They may be following the instructions of the Lord to be zealous but not over-zealous. To -

"...not run faster or labor more than you have strength and means provided..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 10:4)

Another thought that came to mind as I read this revelation. The Lord said -

"...whosoever belongeth to my church need not fear, for such shall inherit the kingdom of heaven." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 10:55)

The fallacy of many in Christendom is they read one verse of scripture and make a conclusion without combining the verse with other words of scripture for a complete understanding. Those that read this verse would assume that membership in the Church is all that is required. But later in the same revelation, the Lord clarifies -

"Behold, this is my doctrine—whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 10:67)

And -

"...whosoever is of my church, and endureth of my church to the end, him will I establish upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 10:69)

Now the Lord's description of His Church brings greater understanding.