Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, October 10, 2008

D&C 9

I remember as I graduated from college thinking I was ready to take on an upper management position in the field of my degree. It was about then that I was counseled by a person that I knew and respected that had been in the field for a long time. I remember that he told me to be careful in taking a position with too much responsibility before I had really developed some experience. Many employers may not necessarily be aware of your abilities and experience and to fail would be worse than gradually gaining experience in the field. The Lord taught the same principle -

"For he will give unto the faithful line upon line, precept upon precept; and I will try you and prove you herewith." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:12)

This seems to be the experience of Oliver Cowdery in his immediate desire to be even as the Prophet Joseph Smith and translate the ancient record. Though he was allowed to translate, he attempted and failed. Why?

"...when you commenced; but you feared..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 9:11)

Even though he probably was instructed how, he lost faith and relied upon his own ways and method. As a result the Lord taught -

"Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.
8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.
9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.
10 Now, if you had known this you could have translated..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 9:7 - 10)

Again, it really had a lot to do with preparation, experience, and understanding. Probably because the Lord wanted the full responsibility of the translation of the record to be placed on the shoulders of the Prophet, the Lord admonished Oliver -

"...it is not expedient that you should translate now." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 9:10)

"Be patient, my son, for it is wisdom in me, and it is not expedient that you should translate at this present time.
4 Behold, the work which you are called to do is to write for my servant Joseph." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 9:3 - 4)

But with all this, Oliver was still promised if he continued faithful, learning line upon line and precept on precept -

"...then, behold, other records have I, that I will give unto you power that you may assist to translate." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 9:2)

Oliver did not remain fully faithful and never was given the privilege of translating other records as far as I am aware of.