Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, September 29, 2008

D&C 1

If you followed my blogs, you will know that I recently finished the Doctrine and Covenants. This morning I decided to start reading the Doctrine and Covenants again. In an Explanatory Introduction we read -


"...the Doctrine and Covenants is unique because it is not a translation of an ancient document, but is of modern origin and was given of God through his chosen prophets for the restoration of his holy work and the establishment of the kingdom of God on the earth in these days. In the revelations one hears the tender but firm voice of the Lord Jesus Christ, speaking anew in the dispensation of the fulness of times; and the work that is initiated herein is preparatory to his second coming, in fulfillment of and in concert with the words of all the holy prophets since the world began." (Doctrine and Covenants Preface Introduction:3)

As a preface to many revelations the Lord had given in our day, the Lord emphatically stated -

"HEARKEN, O ye people of my church..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:1)

And also -

"...Hearken ye people from afar..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:1)

"For verily the voice of the Lord is unto all men..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:2)

What more can be said! For -

"...the voice of warning shall be unto all people, by the mouths of my disciples, whom I have chosen in these last days." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:4)

"Wherefore, fear and tremble, O ye people, for what I the Lord have decreed in them shall be fulfilled." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:7)

"Wherefore the voice of the Lord is unto the ends of the earth, that all that will hear may hear..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:11)

The word of the Lord has been given in latter days to all men, therefore "Hearken". So that -

inasmuch as they erred it might be made known;
26 And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might be instructed;
27 And inasmuch as they sinned they might be chastened, that they might repent;
28 And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge from time to time." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:25 - 28)

Therefore -

"Search these commandments, for they are true and faithful, and the prophecies and promises which are in them shall all be fulfilled." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:37)

"For behold, and lo, the Lord is God, and the Spirit beareth record, and the record is true..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:39)

I testify the the Spirit has born witness to me that this record is true. The burden on me is to "hearken".