Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

D&C 109

As the Prophet Joseph Smith dedicated the Kirtland Temple, he spoke of forgiveness and the welfare of his enemies. Speaking of the wicked that had persecuted the saints in Missouri he prays -

"Have mercy, O Lord, upon the wicked mob, who have driven thy people, that they may cease to spoil, that they may repent of their sins if repentance is to be found..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 109:50)

This reminds me of the teachings of the Savior -

"...behold I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 12:44)

It takes a very humble and obedient person to live according to these teachings. The Prophet as prayed for the -

"...cause that the remnants of Jacob, who have been cursed and smitten because of their transgression, be converted from their wild and savage condition to the fulness of the everlasting gospel..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 109:65)

And with the wicked -

"Remember all thy church, O Lord, with all their families, and all their immediate connections, with all their sick and afflicted ones, with all the poor and meek of the earth; that the kingdom, which thou hast set up without hands, may become a great mountain and fill the whole earth..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 109:72)

This prayers reflects a great deal on the character of the Prophet Joseph Smith.