Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

D&C 64

The Savior lets us know -

"...I will that ye should overcome the world; wherefore I will have compassion upon you." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:2)

With compassion He tells the saints -

"There are those among you who have sinned; but verily I say, for this once, for mine own glory, and for the salvation of souls, I have forgiven you your sins." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:3)

He states of those who have sinned (which is all of us) -

"...I, the Lord, forgive sins unto those who confess their sins before me and ask forgiveness, who have not sinned unto death." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:7)

In my mind "not sinned unto death" suggests a diligent effort to repent and not a procrasination of repentance. His grace and forgiveness is conditioned on His own terms, but He explains that we must forgive all men saying -

"My disciples, in days of old, sought occasion against one another and forgave not one another in their hearts; and for this evil they were afflicted and sorely chastened.
9 Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.
10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:8 - 10)

He admonishes us that as we are offended -

"...ye ought to say in your hearts—let God judge between me and thee, and reward thee according to thy deeds." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:11)

...letting go and not hold a grudge.

Another point the Savior teaches to those that have been called -

"Wherefore, as ye are agents, ye are on the Lord's errand; and whatever ye do according to the will of the Lord is the Lord's business." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:29)

The burden on His agents is learn and know His will. He commands to those that learn His will -

"Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:33 - 34)

This applies to all the saints. But He warns that -

"even the bishop, who is a judge, and his counselors, if they are not faithful in their stewardships shall be condemned, and others shall be planted in their stead." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:40)