Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, June 06, 2008

D&C 52

As the Church began to grow, the Lord revealed -

"...again, I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may not be deceived..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 52:14)

The Lord makes it clear as the Church grows, that he would provide a pattern from Church leaders so that the saints would not be deceived. In my mind, this also suggests that Church leaders through inspiration would provide structure and uniformity in programs and procedures throughout the Church. We see this in handbooks of instruction as well as worldwide leadership broadcasts. In the particular case the Lord was addressing with this revelation he gave this pattern -

"Wherefore he that prayeth, whose spirit is contrite, the same is accepted of me if he obey mine ordinances.
16 He that speaketh, whose spirit is contrite, whose language is meek and edifieth, the same is of God if he obey mine ordinances.
17 And again, he that trembleth under my power shall be made strong, and shall bring forth fruits of praise and wisdom, according to the revelations and truths which I have given you." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 52:15 - 17)

There is a pattern of humility and meekness that brings the Spirit of Lord. But a pattern of arrogance, over emotion, or -

"... he that is overcome and bringeth not forth fruits, even according to this pattern, is not of me." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 52:18)

"Wherefore, by this pattern ye shall know the spirits in all cases under the whole heavens." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 52:19)

The Lord lays out one additional requirement in all the patterns he sets for the saints -

"...remember in all things the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted, for he that doeth not these things, the same is not my disciple." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 52:40)