Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, April 25, 2008

Joseph Smith - Repentance

On the subject of repentance, the Prophet Joseph Smith said -

“I shall speak with authority of the Priesthood in the name of the Lord God. … Notwithstanding this congregation profess to be Saints, yet I stand in the midst of all [kinds of] characters and classes of men. If you wish to go where God is, you must be like God, or possess the principles which God possesses, for if we are not drawing towards God in principle, we are going from Him and drawing towards the devil. Yes, I am standing in the midst of all kinds of people."

He wasn't just speaking of others but also himself -

“Search your hearts, and see if you are like God. I have searched mine, and feel to repent of all my sins."

He continued -

“You must be innocent, or you cannot come up before God: if we would come before God, we must keep ourselves pure, as He is pure. The devil has great power to deceive; he will so transform things as to make one gape at those who are doing the will of God. … Iniquity must be purged out from the midst of the Saints; then the veil will be rent, and the blessings of heaven will flow down—they will roll down like the Mississippi river."

Repentance is a personal matter as the Prophet instructed -

“Let not any man publish his own righteousness, for others can see that for him; sooner let him confess his sins, and then he will be forgiven, and he will bring forth more fruit.”

When it comes to -

"...what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 27:27)

The Prophet said to his brother much the same thing -

"...God requires the will of His creatures to be swallowed up in His will."

Therefore -

“All hearts must repent and be pure, and God will regard them and bless them in a manner that they could not be blessed in any other way.”