Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 17, 2008

D&C 8

The Prophet Joseph Smith said -

"...Salvation cannot come without revelation; it is in vain for anyone to minister without it…" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith (1976), 160.)

The Lord taught this to Oliver Cowdery saying -

"...I say unto you, that assuredly as the Lord liveth, who is your God and your Redeemer, even so surely shall you receive a knowledge of whatsoever things you shall ask in faith, with an honest heart, believing that you shall receive..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 8:1)

And then the Lord explains how we receive revelation -

"...I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
3 Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 8:2 - 3)

Oliver is then counseled of the seriousness of asking for revelation -

"...therefore, whatsoever you shall ask me to tell you by that means, that will I grant unto you, and you shall have knowledge concerning it.
10 Remember that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith. Trifle not with these things; do not ask for that which you ought not." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 8:9 - 10)

It appears that Oliver had failed in receiving revelation while attempting translate from the gold plates as the Lord continues to teach him -

"Do not murmur, my son, for it is wisdom in me that I have dealt with you after this manner.
7 Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.
8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.
9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 9:6 - 9)

What great instructions the Lord has given us a we attempt to receive guidance and inspiration from the Lord.