Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Joseph Smith - Historical Summary

Having just completed reading the Book of Mormon, I have decided to turn my studies to the "Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith" which is being used for personal study and quorum and class instruction.

As I began reading a little on his history, what seemed to catch may attention was -

"In 1816, after facing repeated crop failures, Joseph Smith Sr. moved his family from Norwich, Vermont, to Palmyra, New York, hoping to find a more prosperous situation. “Being in indigent circumstances,” recalled the Prophet in later years, “[we] were obliged to labor hard for the support of a large family … , and as it required the exertions of all that were able to render any assistance for the support of the family, therefore we were deprived of the benefit of an education. Suffice it to say, I was merely instructed in reading, writing, and the ground rules of arithmetic.”

As a person begins to study his life and teachings, he or she should keep in mind the level of proper education the prophet received. I couldn't help but ask myself, if the Lord wanted to reveal new scripture, provide new revelations, establish his priesthood and Church on the earth, in what manner or to whom would most people believe He would do it with. Think about that! Most likely He would do just as He did in ancient days, through a humble and obedient servant for -

"Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." (Old Testament Amos 3:7)

Paul taught what manner of man the Lord would choose saying -

"For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty..." (New Testament 1 Corinthians 1:26 - 27)

Whether a person believes that Joseph Smith told the truth or not. Scripturally, there is no question that he fits the bill of a type of person the Lord would call to do such a thing.