Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, April 11, 2008

Joseph Smith - The First Vision

Joseph Smith testified that the fact was -

"...I had beheld a vision...I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation. "

Did Joseph Smith tell the truth? There are many that say claim it is a lie while there are many that believe that he did tell the truth. There surely is a way to know for as Joseph himself read -

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." (New Testament James 1:5)

Moroni suggests that it isn't a matter of just asking - he taught -

"...I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." (Book of Mormon Moroni 10:3 - 5)

It think the Lord requires man to read and ponder these things. To remember how merciful the Lord has been unto the creation of Adam until now would require one to read and understand God's dealing with man in the Old and New Testaments and the Book of Mormon. He not only requires that read and ponder these things, but also "receive" them. I think receive means to take these things into your heart. To receive in this case means to me to also accept. When one does this the Lord promises to provide wisdom by the power of the Holy Ghost.

I have done this and have come to know of myself that Joseph Smith told the truth!