Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, March 24, 2008

Ether 2

After Jared and his brethren came to the

"...great sea which divideth the lands..." (Book of Mormon Ether 2:13)

The brother of Jared was commanded by the Lord -

"...Go to work and build, after the manner of barges which ye have hitherto built...." (Book of Mormon Ether 2:16)

It is obvious that the brother of Jared and his brethren had already done this before and crossed other waters, but as of yet hadn't crossed waters of the magnitude of the great sea. Nonetheless,
-

"...the brother of Jared did go to work, and also his brethren, and built barges after the manner which they had built, according to the instructions of the Lord. And they were small, and they were light upon the water, even like unto the lightness of a fowl upon the water." (Book of Mormon Ether 2:16)

What impressed me the most of the brother of Jared was as he inquired of the Lord -

"...O Lord, behold I have done even as thou hast commanded me; and I have prepared the vessels for my people, and behold there is no light in them. Behold, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that we shall cross this great water in darkness?" (Book of Mormon Ether 2:22)

That question in itself suggests that the brother of Jared was willing and would be obedient in crossing the waters even if it would be in darkness. He didn't say - we can't cross the waters in darkness. He was more focused on what the mind and will of the Lord was, not his own. The Lord said to the brother of Jared -

"...never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast..." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:9)

I'm sure his obedience was just as great as his faith.