Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

John 16:33

I remember during the sixties, there was a great deal of turmoil and unrest. My generation began to use the common expression "peace". The peace they referred to was a state where there was no war and they could live their life as they chose with no opposition or control. This is not the peace the Savior referred to as he said to his disciples -

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (New Testament John 16:33)

He promised that all who lived in the world would have tribulation, but he also promised that we could also experience peace -

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (New Testament John 14:27)

He taught where this peace "not as the world giveth" comes from -

"...I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." (New Testament John 14:16 - 17)

This -

"...Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (New Testament John 14:26)

But the Savior leads with a condition to have this Comforter -

"If ye love me, keep my commandments." (New Testament John 14:15)

For -

"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." (New Testament John 14:21)

"If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." (New Testament John 14:23)

As the Savior taught all of the signs of his coming and the end of the world, he said -

"...see that ye be not troubled..." (New Testament Matthew 24:6)

Not "troubled" would suggest "peace". As we keep his words, this peace will come for -

"...whoso treasureth up my word, shall not be deceived..." (Pearl of Great Price JS-Matthew 1:37)

Paul summarized this peace that comes through obedience to his words as -

"...the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (New Testament Philippians 4:7)