Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, March 05, 2007

Matthew 26:22

During the last Passover meal the Savior begins to indicate his betrayer by saying -

"...Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me." (New Testament Matthew 26:21)

At which his apostles -

"...were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?" (New Testament Matthew 26:22)

I think the question "Lord, is it I?" demonstrates a great deal of spiritual maturity and character amongst the disciples. It is a response of individuals that look inward first before considering the blame of others. Those with less spiritual maturity or character may first accuse others in the group. Those with less maturity might have suggested that Judah sure has been acting kind of strange, maybe it is him or another that may not necessarily be trusted.

The Savior had taught earlier -

"...why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?" (New Testament Matthew 7:3 - 4)

But we witness that on this evening that these brethren seemed more focused to -

"...first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." (New Testament Matthew 7:5)

Elder Boyd K. Packer said -

“I remind you that these men were apostles. They were of apostolic stature. It has always been interesting to me that they did not on that occasion, nudge one another and say, ‘I’ll bet that is old Judas. He has surely been acting queer lately.’ It reflects something of their stature. Rather it is recorded that: "They were exceedingly sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?" (Matthew 26:22.)

Would you, I plead, overrule the tendency to disregard counsel and assume for just a moment something apostolic in attitude at least, and ask yourself these questions: Do I need to improve myself? Should I take this counsel to heart and act upon it? If there is one weak or failing, unwilling to follow the brethren, Lord, is it I?” (Boyd K. Packer, “Follow the Brethren,” Speeches of the Year, 1965, p. 3.)

The Savior taught -

"Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." (New Testament John 7:24)

Righteous judgement should first include "Is it I?"