Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

John 12

The obedient rich man asked the Savior -

"...All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?" (New Testament Matthew 19:20)

To which the Savior taught -

"...Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me." (New Testament Luke 18:22)

In the last week of his ministry, the Savior taught in parable at the temple -

"...Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit." (New Testament John 12:24)

He was not only speaking of Himself but also to his disciples explaining -

"...He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal." (New Testament John 12:25)

The Savior then teaches how this applies to that which we lack yet -

"If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour." (New Testament John 12:26)

I have recently read arguments by popular evangelists that the gospel of the Savior is that we are saved by grace upon accepting the Savior and nothing more is required. I will not argue that we are not saved by grace. But if one really studies all the words of the Savior, one will fine that much more is required than just believing and accepting him. He talks over and over of repentance, keeping the commandments, servants to others, consecration of your time and finances, sacrifice, even losing your life on his behalf. Joseph Smith taught -

“. . . after the testimony of the Scriptures on this point, the assurance is given by the Holy Ghost, bearing witness to those who obey Him, that Christ Himself has assuredly risen from the dead; and if He has risen from the dead, He will, by His power, bring all men to stand before Him: for if He has risen from the dead the bands of the temporal death are broken that the grave has no victory. If then, the grave has no victory, those who keep the sayings of Jesus and obey His teachings have not only a promise of resurrection from the dead, but an assurance of being admitted into His glorious kingdom; for, He Himself says, ‘Where I am there also shall my servant be’ (see John xii).” (Smith, HC, 2:19. Italics added.)

The words of Nephi provides the must simple summary -

"...we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 25:26)

"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 25:23)

As the Savior said -

"...that ye may be the children of light..." (New Testament John 12:36)