Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Matthew 19, Mark 10, Luke 18

Three of the gospel writers recorded the event of a certain ruler that came -

"...running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?" (New Testament Mark 10:17)

To which the Savior answered

"...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (New Testament Matthew 19:17)

The man seemed to sincerely ask "Which?", to which the Savior generally answered -

"...Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." (New Testament Matthew 19:18 - 19)

Following which the obedient man answered -

"...All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?" (New Testament Matthew 19:20)

I think that question has great significance to us all - "what lack I yet?" I assume the ruler was pretty confident or prideful that his obedience to the laws of the Prophets was pretty much all that was required. Maybe he was looking for some confirmation of the that his strict obedience was sufficient and should be praised. I'm sure he was somewhat shocked and set back as the Savior answered -

"...If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." (New Testament Matthew 19:21)

This was quite disturbing to the ruler as -

"...he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions." (New Testament Matthew 19:22)

Nothing is recorded afterwards to suggest the eventual outcome. One would hope that these words eventually sunk deep in the man's heart and he ended up following the Master. As I ponder the words -"what lack I yet", it seems to suggest a greater effort is required for eternal life than just keeping the basic commandments and laws. We see this with -

"...whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" (New Testament Matthew 16:25 - 26)

And -

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." (New Testament Luke 12:48)

Much like his apostles that -

"...left all, rose up, and followed him." (New Testament Luke 5:28)

I see this is being advance laws of sacrifice and consecration. Doing more than just keeping the commandments of paying tithing, living the law of chastity, keeping the word of wisdom, being honest, going to the House of Prayer on His holy day and offering sacraments, and so forth. It is doing more like paying offerings and donations, letting virtue garnish thoughts unceasingly, attending leadership and stake conference meetings, so forth. Consecrating your time, talents, and financial means in a manner where we -

"love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy might, mind, and strength; and in the name of Jesus Christ thou shalt serve him.
[and]...love thy neighbor as thyself." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 59:5 - 6)

What lack I yet?

Elder Bruce R. McConkie said -

“It is our privilege to consecrate our time, talents, and means to build up his kingdom. We are called upon to sacrifice, in one degree or another, for the furtherance of his work. Obedience is essential to salvation; so, also, is service; and so, also, are consecration and sacrifice.” (CR, Apr. 1975, p. 76.)