Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Luke 12:15 - 31

The Savior warned his disciples -

"...Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth." (New Testament Luke 12:15)

Much of how the world judges people and success is in what the possess, not necessarily who they are and what they have become. Much like the philosophy - "in the end, he who has the most toys, wins." To teach his warning, the Savior gave the following parable -

"...The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry." (New Testament Luke 12:16 - 19)

Obviously, the rich man's purpose in acquiring wealth was for his own ease and pleasure not for Him that provided the rich man such riches. In the parable, there does not appear to be any gratitude on the part of the rich man. He seems to have said to himself, I did all this. The Lord has said -

"...in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 59:21)

As the Savior finishes his parable of the rich man, he informs the rich man of mortal fate -

"...God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?" (New Testament Luke 12:20)

The moral of the parable is -

"...So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God." (New Testament Luke 12:21)

Are riches bad? The Savior taught that first -

"...seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you." (New Testament Luke 12:31)

The real test is -

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (New Testament Luke 12:34)