Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 05, 2007

John 10:1 - 18

The Savior introduces great analogy as he compares priesthood and gospel leadership to a shepherd with his flock, teaching -

"...he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep." (New Testament John 10:2)

But -

"...He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber." (New Testament John 10:1)

Entering by the door means that the Shepherd doesnt' do anything secret, but openly and straightforward, for the Lord has said-

"I have not spoken in secret; from the beginning, from the time that it was declared have I spoken..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 20:16)

"To him the porter (or keeper of the gate) openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out." (New Testament John 10:3)

And how is it that he leadeth them out? -

"...he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice." (New Testament John 10:4)

I think there are two important points here. One is the shepherd goes before and leads. Leading demonstrates example, love, or in a real sense -

"...come, follow me..." (New Testament Luke 18:22)

One that is just in charge of sheep or -

"...he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep." (New Testament John 10:12 - 13)

But a true shepherd sayeth -

"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." (New Testament John 10:14)

Even to the point -

"...I lay down my life for the sheep." (New Testament John 10:15)

The second, I think is the burden of the sheep - to know his voice. To know ones voice is not necessarily to recognize the voice, but to hear and trust the voice. Which requires hope and faith. As his disciples struggled with the meaning, the Savior explained -

"...I am the door of the sheep.
8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." (New Testament John 10:7 - 11)

This great analogy also applies to all gospel leadership. President James E. Faust said -

"...The priesthood quorum presidents and their counselors are also shepherds of the sheepfold and bear the responsibility to lovingly care for the members of their quorums. The bishops of the Church are some of the watchmen on the tower."

In closing, as the Shepherd, the Savior testifies of this great truth -

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." (New Testament John 10:17 - 18)