Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, January 29, 2007

Matthew 18:20

Within the Church we encourage those in leadership to hold regular presidency or leadership meetings. There are many that ask why. The Savior taught his disciples -

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (New Testament Matthew 18:20)

A meeting that is held is just a meeting. But a meeting performed in the name of the Savior, the Savior promises he will be in their midst. What a great promise.

A great example is amongst the Nephites where -

"...it came to pass that as the disciples of Jesus were journeying and were preaching the things which they had both heard and seen, and were baptizing in the name of Jesus, it came to pass that the disciples were gathered together and were united in mighty prayer and fasting.
2 And Jesus again showed himself unto them, for they were praying unto the Father in his name; and Jesus came and stood in the midst of them...
(Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 27:1 - 2)

The Savior taught that in meetings -

"...he that receiveth the word by the Spirit of truth receiveth it as it is preached by the Spirit of truth?
22 Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 50:21 - 22)

Why then would we resist meeting regularly in the name of Christ.