Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Matthew 10, Mark 6, Luke 9

As the Savior was about to send his apostles forth to preach, minister, and heal the sick, he provides them a great deal of instruction and council on this assignment. What seemed to impress me the most was his words -

"He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me." (New Testament Matthew 10:40)

John recorded these words -

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me." (New Testament John 13:20)

In modern revelation the Savior taught the same principle -

"...the arm of the Lord shall be revealed; and the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles, shall be cut off from among the people..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:14)

For -

"...I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:38)

Whom the Lord sends is those duly called and appointed by those holding the keys as the Lord's representatives, for -

"We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof." (Pearl of Great Price Articles of Faith 1:5)

For those who accept and receive the oath and covenant of the priesthood are -

"...they who receive this priesthood receive me, saith the Lord..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:35)

But just as important -

"For he that receiveth my servants receiveth me;
37 And he that receiveth me receiveth my Father." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:36 - 37)

Our obligation is to received his servants - the servant that are our file leaders. Who are our file leaders? President Marion G. Romney said -

"Who are his servants? They are his representatives in the offices of the Priesthood—the General, Stake, Priesthood Quorum, and Ward officers. It behooves us to keep this in mind when we are tempted to disregard our presiding authorities, bishops, quorum and stake presidents, etc., when, within the jurisdiction of their callings, they give us counsel and advice.” (Marion G. Romney in CR, Oct. 1960, p. 73. )

Our file leaders then would include our local leaders. Elder Boyd K. Packer said -

“Some of us suppose that if we were called to a high office in the Church immediately we would be loyal, and would show the dedication necessary. We would step forward and valiantly commit ourselves to this service.

But, you can put it down in your little black book that if you will not be loyal in the small things you will not be loyal in the large things. If you will not respond to the so-called insignificant or menial tasks which need to be performed in the Church and kingdom, there will be no opportunity for service in the so-called greater challenges.

A man who says he will sustain the President of the Church or the General Authorities, but cannot sustain his own bishop is deceiving himself. The man who will not sustain the bishop of his ward and the president of his stake will not sustain the President of the Church.

I have learned from experience that those people who come to us for counsel saying that they cannot go to their bishops, are unwilling to accept counsel from their bishops. They are unwilling or unable to accept counsel from the General Authorities. Actually, the inspiration of the Lord will come to their bishop and he can counsel them correctly.” (Boyd K. Packer, “Follow the Brethren,” Speeches of the Year, 1965, pp. 4–5.)

Let us always be reminded as the Savior's duly authorized file leaders -

"...speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost.
4 And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 68:3 - 4)