Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Haggai - Zechariah 8

As Judah returned from captivity, things must have been very difficult as they found a barren an forsaken land. Being so difficult, the people must have assumed that in these conditions, there was no way they could re-build the temple. It is then the word of the Lord came to Haggai -

This people say, The time is not come, the time that the LORD's house should be built...Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste?" (Old Testament Haggai 1:2 - 4)

This same type of warning was delivered in modern day -

"For verily I say unto you, that after you have had sufficient time to build a house to me...let this house be built unto my name, that I may reveal mine ordinances therein unto my people;
41 For I deign to reveal unto my church things which have been kept hid from before the foundation of the world, things that pertain to the dispensation of the fulness of times.
...If ye labor with all your might, I will consecrate that spot that it shall be made holy.
45 And if my people will hearken unto my voice, and unto the voice of my servants whom I have appointed to lead my people, behold, verily I say unto you, they shall not be moved out of their place.
46 But if they will not hearken to my voice, nor unto the voice of these men whom I have appointed, they shall not be blest, because they pollute mine holy grounds, and mine holy ordinances, and charters, and my holy words which I give unto them.
...I command you again to build a house to my name, even in this place, that you may prove yourselves unto me that ye are faithful in all things whatsoever I command you, that I may bless you, and crown you with honor, immortality, and eternal life.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 124:33 - 55)

What the Lord was teaching the people of Judah was -

"For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for that blessing, and the conditions thereof, as were instituted from before the foundation of the world." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 132:5)

"...I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation.
10 I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:9 - 10)

Because of their own justification in not re-building the temple -

"...thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways." (Old Testament Haggai 1:5)

And then he explains -

"Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes." (Old Testament Haggai 1:6)

And because of their disobedience -

"Therefore the heaven over you is stayed from dew, and the earth is stayed from her fruit.
11 And I called for a drought upon the land, and upon the mountains, and upon the corn, and upon the new wine, and upon the oil, and upon that which the ground bringeth forth, and upon men, and upon cattle, and upon all the labour of the hands." (Old Testament Haggai 1:10 - 11)

It is the same in our day as the world pursues the things of this world but are never satisfied as with a "bag with holes". Samuel the Lamanite told those of Zarahemla -

"...for ye have sought all the days of your lives for that which ye could not obtain; and ye have sought for happiness in doing iniquity, which thing is contrary to the nature of that righteousness which is in our great and Eternal Head." (Book of Mormon Helaman 13:38)

Alma taught his son -

"...wickedness never was happiness." (Book of Mormon Alma 41:10)

Elder James E. Talmage wrote -

"...Material belongings, relative wealth or poverty, physical environment—the things on which we are prone to set our hearts and anchor our aspirations, the things for which we sweat and strive, ofttimes at the sacrifice of happiness and to the forfeiture of real success—these after all are but externals, the worth of which in the reckoning to come shall be counted in terms of the use we have made of them...." (James E. Talmage, The Vitality of Mormonism, 1919, p. 352.)

"...Consider your ways."(Old Testament Haggai 1:7)