Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, September 01, 2006

Hosea 3 - 14

Hosea lived during the days of Isaiah. His prophecies seemed more focused on Ephraim, the kingdom of Israel, or Samaria and their eventual scattering and desolation. Much of his prophecies were in regards to the "whoring and idolatry" of Israel as the Lord is the husband and Israel is the wife. In the last of his writings, Hosea looks toward the last days, prophecying -

O ISRAEL, return unto the LORD thy God; for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity.
2 Take with you words, and turn to the LORD: say unto him, Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously: so will we render the calves of our lips." (Old Testament Hosea 14:1 - 2)

Calves of our lips meaning the most sincere or special sacrifice of our lips. And as Israel again returns and repents with "calves of our lips", the Lord promises -

"I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.
5 I will be as the dew unto Israel: he shall grow as the lily, and cast forth his roots as Lebanon.
6 His branches shall spread, and his beauty shall be as the olive tree, and his smell as Lebanon.
7 They that dwell under his shadow shall return; they shall revive as the corn, and grow as the vine: the scent thereof shall be as the wine of Lebanon." (Old Testament Hosea 14:4 - 7)

And as Israel agains to keep the commandments -

"Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard him, and observed him: I am like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found." (Old Testament Hosea 14:8)

The question like always is -

"Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the LORD are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein. (Old Testament Hosea 14:9)