Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Nahum - Zephaniah

These great prophets also testified of the destruction of Israel. Nahum also prophecied of the destruction of Ninevah after they had turned from their repentance with the preaching of Jonah. Zephaniah pleaded -

"Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD's anger." (Old Testament Zephaniah 2:3)

Even though we witness many of the righteous suffer because of the wicked, Zephaniah suggests that the Lord will be generally merciful to those that seek meekness and righteousness. It is this remnant that -

"...shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid." (Old Testament Zephaniah 3:13)

And of the meek and the righteous the Lord suggests that in the latter days or -

"...In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem, Fear thou not: and to Zion, Let not thine hands be slack.
17 The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." (Old Testament Zephaniah 3:16 - 17)

What jumped out to me was -

"...and to Zion, Let not thine hands be slack." (Old Testament Zephaniah 3:16)

Where the very definition of Zion is -

"...the Lord called his people ZION, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness..." (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:18)

As people of Zion, we have a great work to do - "Let not thine hands be slack".

Habbakuk struggled with the reasoning of why the Lord would allow the wicked success in overpowering his people. Speaking of their posterity, the Lord told Nephi and Sam -

"...if it so be that they rebel against me, they (their brothers posterity) shall be a scourge unto thy seed, to stir them up in the ways of remembrance." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 2:24)

Because -

"For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation.
4 Ye call upon my name for revelations, and I give them unto you; and inasmuch as ye keep not my sayings, which I give unto you, ye become transgressors; and justice and judgment are the penalty which is affixed unto my law." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:3 - 4)

These same principles applied to the children of Israel.