Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Amos 1 - 8

By the time we read the words of the prophet Amos, we have heard promises of eventual destruction (unless Israel repents) so many times that it is hard to believe that the Lord would show the patience he did. To blog about these promises of destruction seems so reduntant. But Amos touches on two thing I would like to address. First -

"Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." (Old Testament Amos 3:7)

In modern revelation on the gifts of the Spirit we read -

"To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.
14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:13 - 14)

It becomes clear that the Lord reveals truths to those he designates as prophets. His prophets testify truth to all the people. It is the people's burden to exhibit faith to receive their own personal witness -

"...for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith..." (Book of Mormon Ether 12:6)

with the promise that -

"...if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." (Book of Mormon Moroni 10:4 - 5)

The second is -

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it." (Old Testament Amos 8:11 - 12)

The reason they would not find it because there would be no "prophet" to reveal it. There seems to be a famine from the days of Malachi to the days of John the Baptist. But there was a greater famine from the days of the ancient apostles to the restoration of the gospel to the Prophet Joseph Smith. I testify that this is true. Joseph Smith and others in succession are true prophets of God. Like Alma of old, I too -

"...would not that ye should think that I know these things of myself, but it is the Spirit of God which is in me which maketh these things known unto me..." (Book of Mormon Alma 38:6)