Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, June 16, 2006

Psalms 79 - 92

The Savior asked -

"If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" (New Testament Luke 11:11 - 13)

Being blessed with the opportunity of being a father of a family, I have come to feel the loving relationship of parents and children. It seems my drive is to help my children to grow and develop to adulthood. In a sense, become like me. As I ponder the verses of the Savior, it becomes apparent to me that we are children of our Heavenly Father and members of a great family. Wouldn't a Father in Heaven want his children to become like him? In a psalm of Asaph, the Lord states -

"I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." (Old Testament Psalms 82:6)

Paul taught -

"Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device." (New Testament Acts 17:29)

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ..." (New Testament Romans 8:16 - 17)

John suggest that we be like God suggesting -

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." (New Testament 1 John 3:2)

Of all of God's children, he says that -

"...whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth..." (Old Testament Psalms 83:18)

Jehovah is the greatest of all of our Father in Heaven's children. Of Jehovah -

"Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
27 Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth.
28 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him.
29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven." (Old Testament Psalms 89:26 - 29)

While instructing the Nephites, he asked -

"...what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 27:27)

Through the atonement of the Savior, those that do become like him -

"Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High..." (Old Testament Psalms 82:6)