Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Psalms 35 - 48

Recalling how he was struck with great fear and amazement that perhaps he might be destroyed, Alma tells his son, Helaman -

"I was racked with eternal torment, for my soul was harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins.... I did remember all my sins and iniquities, for which I was tormented with the pains of hell; yea, I saw that I had rebelled against my God, and that I had not kept his holy commandments." (Book of Mormon Alma 36:12 - 13)

"...in fine so great had been my iniquities, that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror." (Book of Mormon Alma 36:14)

He explains to Helaman -

"...I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death." (Book of Mormon Alma 36:18)

It was of such magnitude that -

"Oh, thought I, that I could be banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presence of my God, to be judged of my deeds." (Book of Mormon Alma 36:15)

Compare the feelings of Alma to that of David as a result of sin -

"O LORD, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
2 For thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore.
3 There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.
4 For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me." Old Testament Psalms 38:1 - 4)

His perception of his sins is -

"My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness." (Old Testament Psalms 38:5)

He describes his suffering as -

"I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.
7 For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh.
8 I am feeble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart." (Old Testament Psalms 38:6 - 8)

In addition -

"My heart panteth, my strength faileth me: as for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me.
11 My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore; and my kinsmen stand afar off.
12 They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: and they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.
13 But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.
14 Thus I was as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs." (Old Testament Psalms 38:10 - 14)

Like Alma, he pleads -

"O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.
16 For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me: when my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me.
17 For I am ready to halt, and my sorrow is continually before me.
18 For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin." (Old Testament Psalms 38:15 - 18)

"Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me.
22 Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation." (Old Testament Psalms 38:21 - 22)

The consequence of sin and the price of repentance is the same for all.

Nephi asked -

Behold, doth he cry unto any, saying: Depart from me? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; but he saith: Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy milk and honey, without money and without price....Hath he commanded any that they should not partake of his salvation? Behold I say unto you, Nay; but he hath given it free for all men; and he hath commanded his people that they should persuade all men to repentance." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 26:25 - 27)