Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, June 12, 2006

Psalms 19 - 34

It becomes apparent at times throughout the Old Testament that the people had the prophecies of the Messiah amongst them much like that in the Book of Mormon. King David was aware of them for he would include them in his psalms. Some of them were -

"...Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee." (Old Testament Psalms 2:7)

"For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption." (Old Testament Psalms 16:10)

"Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me." (Old Testament Psalms 41:9)

"MY God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?..." (Old Testament Psalms 22:1)

"...I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture." (Old Testament Psalms 22:14 - 18)

"Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth." (Old Testament Psalms 31:5)

"He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken." (Old Testament Psalms 34:20)

"The LORD redeemeth the soul of his servants..." (Old Testament Psalms 34:22)

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." (Old Testament Psalms 19:14)

"The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit." (Old Testament Psalms 34:18)

Compare this to the words of Lehi -

"Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 2:7)

I was specifically impressed with these verses this morning. David asks -

"...Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?" (Old Testament Psalms 24:3)

He answers -

"He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
5 He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation." (Old Testament Psalms 24:4 - 5)