Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Job 37 - 42

The book of Job seems to me to be written somewhat like a play where different characters appear in the scene and speak with poetic type lines on different religious positions. At one point, Elihu who seems to have been present during all the conversation and speaks -

"...against Job was his wrath kindled, because he justified himself rather than God." (Old Testament Job 32:2)

For Job had previously suggested to those that had questioned his righteousness -

"Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?" (Old Testament Job 38:2)

Elihu then shares this great truth -

"...there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
9 Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment." (Old Testament Job 32:8 - 9)

Elihu continues -

"...Hearken to me; I also will shew mine opinion." (Old Testament Job 32:10)

Elihu teaches some interesting thoughts such as -

"...let us know among ourselves what is good.
5 For Job hath said, I am righteous: and God hath taken away my judgment." (Old Testament Job 34:4 - 5)

To me these words sound much like Zenos -

"...Thou hast turned away thy judgments because of thy Son..." (Book of Mormon Alma 33:13)

For -

"...surely God will not do wickedly, neither will the Almighty pervert judgment...." (Old Testament Job 34:12)

"...therefore trust thou in him..." (Old Testament Job 35:14)

And in the traditions taught in the scriptures, Elihu promises -

"If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures." (Old Testament Job 36:11)

The Lord then seems to enter the play. Even though Job is acknowledged as a righteous man, the Lord asks Job with Job's own statement -

"...Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?" (Old Testament Job 38:2)

Suggesting that even Job doesn't know all and then it seems in an effort to teach hims that he asks -

"Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?" (Old Testament Job 38:4 - 7)

The Lord then humbles Job greatly with his majesty and greatness to which Job later confesses -

"...I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee.
3 Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.
4 Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes..." (Old Testament Job 42:2 - 6)

Because they had been so judgmental, the Lord also chastises Job's three visitors with -

"...My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath." (Old Testament Job 42:7)

All were good men for -

"Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went, and did according as the LORD commanded them: the LORD also accepted Job.
10 And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends..." (Old Testament Job 42:9 - 10)

In the end, the words of Elihu are fulfilled in that -

"...the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.
11 Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been of his acquaintance before..." (Old Testament Job 42:10 - 11)

"...So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning..." (Old Testament Job 42:12)