Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, March 24, 2006

2 Samuel 5 - 10

David seemed to be nothing like prideful Saul. David was humble and approached Nathan the prophet asking -

"...See now, I dwell in an house of cedar, but the ark of God dwelleth within curtains." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 7:2)

I'm sure Nathan sensed David's sincere love for the Lord and instructs David -

"...Go, do all that is in thine heart; for the LORD is with thee." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 7:3)

And then that night -

"...the word of the LORD came unto Nathan, saying
5 Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the LORD..." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 7:4 - 5)

And Nathan tells David what the Lord said -

"...Shalt thou build me an house for me to dwell in?
6 Whereas I have not dwelt in any house since the time that I brought up the children of Israel out of Egypt, even to this day, but have walked in a tent and in a tabernacle." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 7:5 - 6)

The Lord tells David -

"...he will make thee an house..." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 7:11)


David is told that he will not build the Lord a house, but -

"...when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
13 He shall build an house for my name..." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 7:12 - 13)

David reveals later that -

"...the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight.
9 Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies round about: for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days.
10 He shall build an house for my name..." (Old Testament 1 Chronicles 22:8 - 10)

But of greater significance is that the Lord told the prophet Nathan -

"...I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever...." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 7:13)

And of that prophecy, Isaiah also prophecied of the Savior -

"...For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever." (Old Testament Isaiah 9:6 - 7)

And Jeremiah prophecied of the Messiah -

"...But they shall serve the LORD their God, and David their king, whom I will raise up unto them...."(Old Testament Jeremiah 30:9)

And the angel said to Mary -

"...Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David..." (New Testament Luke 1:30 - 32)

What a great promise David was given for his sincere love of the Lord.