Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

1 Samuel 21 - 25

The Lord has instructed those who are called to preach -

"...hearken ye elders of my church, whom I have appointed: Ye are not sent forth to be taught, but to teach the children of men the things which I have put into your hands by the power of my Spirit..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:15)

We witnessed the power to teaching by the Spirit with the Prophet Samuel. With the conflict between David and Saul -

"...David fled, and escaped, and came to Samuel to Ramah, and told him all that Saul had done to him. And he and Samuel went and dwelt in Naioth....and Saul sent messengers to take David..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 19:18 - 20)

And when these messengers came to Naioth -

"...they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as appointed over them..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 19:20)

As I read this, I thought that this was nothing more than a school of prophets with Samuel presiding and teaching ancient prophets or men who held the priesthood, much like the School of the Prophets in modern day presided over by the Prophet Joseph Smith in Kirtland, Ohio. So powerful must have been the instruction that -

"...the Spirit of God was upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 19:20)

The instruction most likely was in regards to the coming the Savior and the great plan of redemption for John stated -

"...for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy..." (New Testament Revelation 19:10)

The prophecy described here in 1 Samuel could have easily been nothing more the the bearing of pure testimony of the coming of Jesus Christ upon hearing the teachings of Samuel. Two more groups of messengers were sent who also prophesied. I can picture in my mind, Samuel the Prophet asking each messenger to bear his testimony. Even Saul himself came -

"...and the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 19:23)

The instruction of Samuel must have been marvelous for the Lord has commanded of his priesthood leaders -

"...they shall observe the covenants and church articles to do them, and these shall be their teachings, as they shall be directed by the Spirit.
14 And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith; and if ye receive not the Spirit ye shall not teach..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 42:13 - 14)

During his mission in England, President Wilford Woodruff relates -

“When I arose to speak at Brother Benbow’s house, a man entered the door and informed me that he was a constable, and had been sent by the rector of the parish with a warrant to arrest me. I asked him, ‘For what crime?’ He said, ‘For preaching to the people.’ I told him that I, as well as the rector, had a license for preaching the gospel to the people, and that if he would take a chair I would wait upon him after meeting. He took my chair and sat beside me. For an hour and a quarter I preached the first principles of the everlasting gospel. The power of God rested upon me, the spirit filled the house, and the people were convinced. At the close of the meeting I opened the door for baptism, and seven offered themselves. Among the number were four preachers and the constable. The latter arose and said, ‘Mr. Woodruff, I would like to be baptized.’ I told him I would like to baptize him. I went down into the pool and baptized the seven. We then came together. I confirmed thirteen, administered the Sacrament, and we all rejoiced together.
“The constable went to the rector and told him that if he wanted Mr. Woodruff taken for preaching the gospel, he must go himself and serve the writ; for he had heard him preach the only true gospel sermon he had ever listened to in his life. The rector did not know what to make of it, so he sent two clerks of the Church of England as spies, to attend our meeting, and find out what we did preach. They both were pricked in their hearts, received the word of the Lord gladly, and were baptized and confirmed members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The rector became alarmed, and did not venture to send anybody else.” (In Cowley, Wilford Woodruff, p. 118.)

To his modern day priesthood holders, the Lord asks -

"...unto what were ye ordained?" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 50:13)

He answers the question -

"To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 50:14)

And if he that hears also has the Spirit of the Lord, he explains -

"...he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 50:22)

It becomes clear that all instruction given by priesthood leaders, whether in a school of prophets, or in any meeting that -

"...notwithstanding those things which are written, it always has been given to the elders of my church from the beginning, and ever shall be, to conduct all meetings as they are directed and guided by the Holy Spirit." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:2)