Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 23, 2006

1 Samuel 31 - 2 Samuel 4

As I have read about the rise of King David, one of the character traits that seemed to bring him to power over all of Israel was his expectations that men should have loyalty and integrity whether they be friends or enemies. We see this in himself when on two occasions had the opportunity to slay Saul. On the first occasion David -

"...cut off the skirt of Saul's robe privily..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 24:4)

while Saul slept because -

"...The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD's anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD...." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 24:6)

On the second occasion -

"...David and Abishai came to the people by night: and, behold, Saul lay sleeping within the trench, and his spear stuck in the ground at his bolster: but Abner and the people lay round about him." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 26:7)

And

"...David took the spear and the cruse of water from Saul's bolster; and they gat them away, and no man saw it, nor knew it, neither awaked: for they were all asleep; because a deep sleep from the LORD was fallen upon them." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 26:12)

"Then said Abishai to David, God hath delivered thine enemy into thine hand this day: now therefore let me smite him, I pray thee, with the spear even to the earth at once..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 26:8)

But David tells Abishai -

"...Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the LORD's anointed, and be guiltless?" (Old Testament 1 Samuel 26:9)

Even upon the death of his enemy Saul-

"...David lamented with this lamentation over Saul and over Jonathan his son..."
(Old Testament 2 Samuel 1:17)

When an Amalekite comes to gain favor with David with the fabricated story -

"...I happened by chance upon mount Gilboa, behold, Saul leaned upon his spear; and, lo, the chariots and horsemen followed hard after him.
7 And when he looked behind him, he saw me, and called unto me. And I answered, Here am I.
8 And he said unto me, Who art thou? And I answered him, I am an Amalekite.
9 And he said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me: for anguish is come upon me, because my life is yet whole in me.
10 So I stood upon him, and slew him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he was fallen: and I took the crown that was upon his head, and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them hither unto my lord..." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 1:6 - 10)

David recognizes he -

"...thought that I would have given him a reward for his tidings..." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 4:10)

David knew he had only plundered the battle field to find the items. David's allegiance was still to Saul and asked the Amalekite -

"...How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the LORD's anointed?" (Old Testament 2 Samuel 1:14)

"...And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died..." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 1:15)

When Joab on his own accord took Abner-

"...aside in the gate to speak with him quietly, and smote him there under the fifth rib, that he died, for the blood of Asahel his brother." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 3:27) -

"...when David heard it, he said, I and my kingdom are guiltless before the LORD for ever from the blood of Abner the son of Ner:
29 Let it rest on the head of Joab, and on all his father's house..." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 3:28 - 29)

"...And when all the people came to cause David to eat meat while it was yet day, David sware, saying, So do God to me, and more also, if I taste bread, or ought else, till the sun be down.
36 And all the people took notice of it, and it pleased them: as whatsoever the king did pleased all the people." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 3:35 - 36)

And we also see David's expectations that men are loyal when two of Saul's captains came to
the enemy of David, Ish-bosheth, Saul's son and-

"...came into the house, he lay on his bed in his bedchamber, and they smote him, and slew him, and beheaded him, and took his head..." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 4:7)

"...And they brought the head of Ish-bosheth unto David to Hebron, and said to the king, Behold the head of Ish-bosheth the son of Saul thine enemy, which sought thy life; and the LORD hath avenged my lord the king this day of Saul, and of his seed...."(Old Testament 2 Samuel 4:8)

Even though Ish-bosheth was David's enemy, David expected more of those that should have been allegiant to Ish-bosheth. He answers them -

"...How much more, when wicked men have slain a righteous person in his own house upon his bed? shall I not therefore now require his blood of your hand, and take you away from the earth?
12 And David commanded his young men, and they slew them..." (Old Testament 2 Samuel 4:11 - 12)

I believe it was this type of character, integrity and loyalty that allowed David to rise to King over all of Israel.