Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

1 Samuel 5 - 10

At the time the child Samuel began to serve the Lord being taught by Eli -

"...the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:1)

Not because the Lord did not want to communicate with the children of Israel, but because they had turned their backs to him -

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." (New Testament Revelation 3:20)

Samuel was a righteous and obedient child. The said said -

"...My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me..." (New Testament John 10:27)

"...for mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:7)

And -

"...the LORD called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:4)

But -

"...Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:7)

So he ran to Eli inquiring -

"...Here am I; for thou didst call me..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:6)

It is apparent that to Samuel, the still small voice was very real. Upon the third time -

"...Eli perceived that the LORD had called the child.
9 Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:8 - 9)

And on the fourth time -

"...the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:10)

Samuel did hear and did open the door. The Lord then reveals -

"...Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:11)

Again, those that heareth are those whose ears will tingle. We see almost the same experience with the Nephites just before the resurrected Savior appeared to them as that with Samuel -

"...that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 11:3)

And it is not just hearing the voice of the Savior, it is following the still small voice and doing the Lord's will. We learn that -

"...all Israel from Dan even to Beer-sheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:20)

Why? Because as Samuel did grow and did hear and was obedient -

"... and the LORD was with him..."( Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:19)

And Samuel -

"...did let none of his words fall to the ground..." (Old Testament 1 Samuel 3:19)