Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Deuteronomy 8 - 13

As Moses addresses his people again, he again reiterates much of the same doctrine asking-

"...Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul..." (Old Testament Deuteronomy 10:12)

"THEREFORE thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway[s]." (Old Testament Deuteronomy 11:1)

Moses asks a great question -

"To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day [is it] for thy good?? (Old Testament Deuteronomy 10:13)

He answers -

"...if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul,
14 That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.
15 And I will send grass in thy fields for thy cattle, that thou mayest eat and be full." (Old Testament Deuteronomy 11:13 - 15)

What a wonderful blessing. Moses tells them also -

"Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;
27 A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day:
28 And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day..." (Old Testament Deuteronomy 11:26 - 28)

The cursing being in opposition to the blessing where -

"...the LORD's wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit; and lest ye perish quickly from off the good land..." (Old Testament Deuteronomy 11:17)

"Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, ...And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." (Old Testament Deuteronomy 11:18 - 19)

Elder Faust said -

"The Lord has directed, 'Bring up your children in light and truth.' To me, there is no more important human effort. Being a father or a mother is not only a great challenge; it is a divine calling. It is an effort requiring consecration. President David O. McKay (1873-1970) stated that being parents is 'the greatest trust that has been given to human beings.' " ( "A Thousand Threads of Love," Ensign, Oct. 2005, 3)

In great wisdom, Moses instructs his people which would apply to all people -

"Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked." (Old Testament Deuteronomy 10:16)