Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Leviticus 19 - 23

As I began my reading this morning, the Lord's commandment was very specific -

"...Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy." (Old Testament Leviticus 19:2)

The following are some of the Lord's instructions to be holy -

"Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary..." (Old Testament Leviticus 19:30)

which means -

"...that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;
10 For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High...remember that on this, the Lord's day, thou shalt offer thine oblations and thy sacraments unto the Most High, confessing thy sins unto thy brethren, and before the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 59:9 - 12)

"Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.
12 ¶ And ye shall not swear by my name falsely..." (Old Testament Leviticus 19:11 - 12)

"Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour, neither rob him..." (Old Testament Leviticus 19:13)

"Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.
16 ¶ Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people...Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.
18 ¶ Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people..." (Old Testament Leviticus 19:15 - 18)

All of these fall under the two great commandments -

"...thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." (Old Testament Deuteronomy 6:5)

And that which was read today -

"...thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself..." (Old Testament Leviticus 19:18)

"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." (New Testament Matthew 22:40)