Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, February 10, 2006

Numbers 19 - 24

Nephi gives us a great definition of priestcraft in that -

"...priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 26:29)

The story of Balaam is a very unusual story but also a great example of priestcraft. The scriptures are not clear whether he actually held the priesthood or not, but it is clear he exercised priestcraft for Balak sent men to tell Balaam that if he cursed the children of Israel -

"...I will promote thee unto very great honour, and I will do whatsoever thou sayest unto me: come therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people..." (Old Testament Numbers 22:17)

It becomes obvious that Balaam knew better and even resisted the tempation but finally -

"...Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab..." (Old Testament Numbers 22:21)

What is unusual in this story is that an angel of the Lord with a sword in hand appears to the ass upon which Balaam is riding and turns the ass from his path three times - one time crushing his foot. And three times Balaam smites the ass. And after the third time -

"...the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
29 And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
30 And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay." (Old Testament Numbers 22:28 - 30)

It is then Balaam sees the angel with his sword drawn and falls on his face. The angel explains why the ass turned three times and then commands Balaam -

"...only the word that I shall speak unto thee, that thou shalt speak..." (Old Testament Numbers 22:35)

Later, after again being promised riches to curse the children of Israel, it appears Balaam speaks the words of the angel for his words include prophecies of the Savior -

"I will advertise thee what this people shall do to thy people in the latter days....I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth...Out of Jacob shall come he that shall have dominion, and shall destroy him that remaineth of the city." (Old Testament Numbers 24:14 - 19)

Balaam is never able to curse the Israelites but probably in an effort to "get gain and the praise of the world" he tells the Moabites that the Lord will not bless them in their inquity. And as a result, the Moabite women -

"...caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD..." (Old Testament Numbers 31:16)

Balaam became a symbol of priestcraft as Peter described false teachers -

"...following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness..." (New Testament 2 Peter 2:15)

Even John talked of such men as -

"...them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication." (New Testament Revelation 2:14)

The Lord has made it very clear how his priesthood is to be exercised and -

"...commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 26:29)