Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Mormon 3 - Ether 3

In 2006 the theme for mutual is -

"...Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 115:5)

What is this light that is to shine forth? First we are taught that -

"...the word of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is light, and whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:45)

Joseph Fielding Smith explained that -

"...the Spirit of Jesus Christ, [is] also called the Light of Truth, Light of Christ, Spirit of God, and Spirit of the Lord..." (Doctrines of Salvation - Volume 1)

A reader of the scriptures must consider these titles in context as in some cases the same titles are used in reference to the Holy Ghost. The light of Truth or Light of Christ -

"Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:12)

It is -

"...the life and the light, the Spirit and the power, sent forth by the will of the Father through Jesus Christ, his Son." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 50:27)

It is -

"...The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:13)

It is -

"...the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:11)

And this light is given -

"... to every man that cometh into the world..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:46)

But even though it is given to every man, we must understand -

"...the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:46)

Besides giving life to all things and laws by which all things are governed -

...the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil...the light by which ye may judge, which light is the light of Christ..." (Book of Mormon Moroni 7:15 - 18)

It is also a medium or agency through which the Holy Ghost communicates. President Joseph Fielding Smith also wrote -

"...The person of the Holy Ghost can work through the Spirit of Christ that permeates everything..." (Doctrines of Salvation - Volume 1)

So how do let our light shine forth? Let me answer with a few scriptures -

The Savior said to his twelve disciples -

"...Behold I am the light; I have set an example for you." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 18:16)

"...The light of the body is the eye; if, therefore, thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light...." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 13:22)

"For God... hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." (New Testament 2 Corinthians 4:6)

"...Which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:7)

"...Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the word of truth and righteousness... (Book of Mormon Alma 38:9)

It seems as become more Christlike, our light begins to shine as our eye is single in faith and obedience, as we set an example, increase in righteousness, andn\ increase in testimony, knowledge and truth. And -

"...if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin...." (New Testament 1 John 1:7)

For

"...there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world..." (Book of Mormon Alma 38:9)

My thoughts today were all stimulated by the words of Savior -

"...he that believeth these things which I have spoken, him will I visit with the manifestations of my Spirit, and he shall know and bear record. For because of my Spirit he shall know that these things are true; for it persuadeth men to do good.
12 And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me. For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world." (Book of Mormon Ether 4:11 - 12)