Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, July 25, 2005

2 Nephi 5 - 8

Jacob tells his people that he is going to speak to them again, for he tells us "...I have spoken unto you exceedingly many things..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 6:2) ...for I have exhorted you with all diligence; and I have taught you the words of my father; and I have spoken unto you concerning all things which are written..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 6:3) But this time -

"..I would speak unto you concerning things which are, and which are to come; wherefore, I will read you the words of Isaiah. And they are the words which my brother has desired that I should speak unto you..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 6:4)

These words of Isaiah must have been very important to Nephi for he had told us that upon these plates -

"...I engraved that which is pleasing unto God. And if my people are pleased with the things of God they will be pleased with mine engravings which are upon these plates." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 5:32)

I find it very interesting that Jacob says he will read the words of Isaiah to his people. As I read that I thought of the Lord speaking to the Prophet Joseph Smith -

"...I, Jesus Christ, your Lord and your God, have spoken it.
34 These words are not of men nor of man, but of me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and not of man;
35 For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them;
36 Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:33 - 36)

As I read the words of Isaiah, I tend to get emotionally pumped up, enthused, and motivated. His writings must have done the same for the people of Lehi. Maybe that is why Nephi loved the words of Isaiah so much. As one reads the words of Nephi in the 4th Chapter of 2nd Nephi he kind of does the same thing.

Isaiah writes things of the Savior like -

YEA, for thus saith the Lord: Have I put thee away, or have I cast thee off forever? For thus saith the Lord: Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement? To whom have I put thee away, or to which of my creditors have I sold you? Yea, to whom have I sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.
2 Wherefore, when I came, there was no man; when I called, yea, there was none to answer. O house of Israel, is my hand shortened at all that it cannot redeem, or have I no power to deliver? Behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make their rivers a wilderness and their fish to stink because the waters are dried up, and they die because of thirst.
3 I clothe the heavens with blackness, and I make sackcloth their covering.
4 The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season unto thee, O house of Israel. When ye are weary he waketh morning by morning. He waketh mine ear to hear as the learned.
5 The Lord God hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back.
6 I gave my back to the smiter, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair. I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
7 For the Lord God will help me, therefore shall I not be confounded. Therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.
8 And the Lord is near, and he justifieth me. Who will contend with me? Let us stand together. Who is mine adversary? Let him come near me, and I will smite him with the strength of my mouth.
9 For the Lord God will help me. And all they who shall condemn me, behold, all they shall wax old as a garment, and the moth shall eat them up.
10 Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness and hath no light?
11 Behold all ye that kindle fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks, walk in the light of your fire and in the sparks which ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand—ye shall lie down in sorrow. (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 7:1 - 11)

But these are the words of Isaiah that touched my heart -

"Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart I have written my law, fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings."(Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 8:7)

"I am he; yea, I am he that comforteth you. Behold, who art thou, that thou shouldst be afraid of man, who shall die..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 8:12)

"...Awake, awake, put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments..."
(Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 8:24)

Though much of words of Isaiah I don't understand, I do understand the Spirit that touches my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home