Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, July 11, 2005

1 Nephi 12 - 14

Throughout time, the Lord has revealed many of the things which were to come to his prophets.
Beginning with Adam, wherein -

"Adam stood up in the midst of the congregation; and, notwithstanding he was bowed down with age, being full of the Holy Ghost, predicted whatsoever should befall his posterity unto the latest generation " (Doctrine and Covenants Section 107:56)

Which were

"...written in the book of Enoch, and are to be testified of in due time."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 107:57)

From Adam to Malachi, many old testament prophets testified of things to come. This continued through the New Testament even with Paul prophesying -

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first..." (New Testament 2 Thessalonians 2:3) and a "...restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began." (New Testament Acts 3:21)

The Prophet Joseph Smith prophesied of many things to come including that "wars that will shortly come to pass, beginning at the rebellion of South Carolina, which will eventually terminate in the death and misery of many souls...beginning at this place...for behold, the Southern States shall be divided against the Northern States..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 87:1 - 3)

The Prophets of the Book of Mormon aslo prophesied of things to come. It is in these chapters that Nephi foresees the condenscension of the Savior, the ministry of the apostles, the cruxificion and resurrection, the rising of the great and abominable church, the future events of his seed and his brothers seed, the discovery of America, the restoration of the gospel, and many events yet to happen.

The point that seemed to touch me this morning was not only did the Lord reveal these things to come to his prophets but his prophets were foreordained for that very purpose and in what they were foreordained to see and what was there calling and privilege to write.

To Jeremiah the Lord said -

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." (Old Testament Jeremiah 1:5)

Of the apostles in ancient times, Paul wrote to Timothy -

9 Who...called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began..." (New Testament 2 Timothy 1:9)

Nephi also was foreordained to see the things he saw. After Nephi had received the vision of many of the things yet to come, the angel told him to Look, and Nephi looked

"...and beheld a man, and he was dressed in a white robe.
20 And the angel said unto me: Behold one of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
21 Behold, he shall see and write the remainder of these things; yea, and also many things which have been.
22 And he shall also write concerning the end of the world.
23 Wherefore, the things which he shall write are just and true; and behold they are written in the book which thou beheld proceeding out of the mouth of the Jew; and at the time they proceeded out of the mouth of the Jew, or, at the time the book proceeded out of the mouth of the Jew, the things which were written were plain and pure, and most precious and easy to the understanding of all men.
24 And behold, the things which this apostle of the Lamb shall write are many things which thou hast seen; and behold, the remainder shalt thou see.
25 But the things which thou shalt see hereafter thou shalt not write; for the Lord God hath ordained the apostle of the Lamb of God that he should write them." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 14:19 - 25)

"And I, Nephi, heard and bear record, that the name of the apostle of the Lamb was John, according to the word of the angel." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 14:27)

John who was yet to be born was foreordained to write these things.

Nephi tells us of -

...others who have been, to them hath he shown all things, and they have written them; and they are sealed up to come forth in their purity..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 14:26)

But in Nephi's case he says -

"I, Nephi, am forbidden that I should write the remainder of the things which I saw and heard; wherefore the things which I have written sufficeth me; and I have written but a small part of the things which I saw.
29 And I bear record that I saw the things which my father saw, and the angel of the Lord did make them known unto me." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 14:28 - 29)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home