Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 07, 2005

1 Nephi 4 - 7

Moroni taught regarding faith -

"...I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." (Book of Mormon Ether 12:6)

To the Prophet, regarding Zions Camp, the Lord said -

"...it is expedient in me that they should be brought thus far for a trial of their faith." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 105:19)

And to the saints in Zion, He said -

"...For after much tribulation come the blessings." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 58:4)

As we begin to read the words of Nephi, it quickly becomes apparent he is a man of great faith. To his father he said -

"...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 3:7)

This was not lip service just to please his father. As Nephi left his brothers hidden without the walls and crept into the city, he said -

"...I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.
7 Nevertheless I went forth..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 4:6 - 7)

The words - "nevertheless I went forth" seemed to enter my heart this morning. If that isn't "faith is things which are hoped for and not seen", I don't know what is! For Nephi -

"..remembered the words of the Lord which he spake ...saying that: Inasmuch as thy seed shall keep my commandments, they shall prosper in the land of promise.
15 Yea, and I also thought that they could not keep the commandments of the Lord according to the law of Moses, save they should have the law.
16 And I also knew that the law was engraven upon the plates of brass." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 4:14 - 16)

And the blessings came as -

"...the Lord had delivered Laban into [Nephi's] hands ...that [he] might obtain the records according to his commandments. (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 4:17)

Our burden is to become as Nephi, to "nevertheless, go forth" in faith "not knowing beforehand" for we know that -

"...without faith it is impossible to please Him.." (New Testament Hebrews 11:6)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home