Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

1 Nephi 21 - 22

Because Isaiah was so difficult to understand, I used to read the words almost in passing to get to the chapters I could understand. After reading the old testament, I began to better understand much of the history of these people. And in doing so, some of the sayings of Isaiah began to make sense. As I began the Book of Mormon this time, I found myself looking forward to reading those chapters where Nephi shares the words of Isaiah. Though my understanding still is limited, I seem to study each sentence with determination to understand who Isaiah is referring to and what it means.

In the 21st Chapter, it appears to me that Isaiah writes as Israel being the first person. With the Savior or Messiah being of Israel, he seems to use them intermittently. We read -

"...Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 21:3)

and -

"...It is a light thing that thou shouldst be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel. I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the ends of the earth." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 21:6)

And of the Savior, the Lord seems to say to Israel -

"...In an acceptable time have I heard thee, O isles of the sea, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee; and I will preserve thee, and give thee my servant for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;
9 That thou mayest say to the prisoners: Go forth; to them that sit in darkness: Show yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places.
10 They shall not hunger nor thirst, neither shall the heat nor the sun smite them; for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them.
11 And I will make all my mountains a way, and my highways shall be exalted." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 21:8 - 11)

Because of there unrighteousness, Isaiah teaches that the house of Israel will be scattered throughout the earth. But in due time the Lord says -

"...I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people; and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.
23 And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers; they shall bow down to thee with their face towards the earth, and lick up the dust of thy feet; and thou shalt know that I am the Lord; for they shall not be ashamed that wait for me."
(Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 21:22 - 23)

Nephi explains -

"...the Lord God will proceed to make bare his arm in the eyes of all the nations, in bringing about his covenants and his gospel unto those who are of the house of Israel.
12 Wherefore, he will bring them again out of captivity, and they shall be gathered together to the lands of their inheritance; and they shall be brought out of obscurity and out of darkness; and they shall know that the Lord is their Savior and their Redeemer, the Mighty One of Israel."
(Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 22:11 - 12)

And -

"...after they shall be nursed by the Gentiles, and the Lord has lifted up his hand upon the Gentiles and set them up for a standard, and their children have been carried in their arms, and their daughters have been carried upon their shoulders, behold these things of which are spoken are temporal; for thus are the covenants of the Lord with our fathers; and it meaneth us in the days to come, and also all our brethren who are of the house of Israel.
7 And it meaneth that the time cometh that after all the house of Israel have been scattered and confounded, that the Lord God will raise up a mighty nation among the Gentiles, yea, even upon the face of this land; and by them shall our seed be scattered.
8 And after our seed is scattered the Lord God will proceed to do a marvelous work among the Gentiles, which shall be of great worth unto our seed; wherefore, it is likened unto their being nourished by the Gentiles and being carried in their arms and upon their shoulders.
9 And it shall also be of worth unto the Gentiles; and not only unto the Gentiles but unto all the house of Israel, unto the making known of the covenants of the Father of heaven unto Abraham, saying: In thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 22:6 - 9)

Nephi continues to explain the great destruction of the wicked as the wicked destroy themselves, but tells us -

"...the righteous need not fear, for they are those who shall not be confounded." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 22:22)

"...And the time cometh speedily that the righteous must be led up as calves of the stall, and the Holy One of Israel must reign in dominion, and might, and power, and great glory.
25 And he gathereth his children from the four quarters of the earth; and he numbereth his sheep, and they know him; and there shall be one fold and one shepherd; and he shall feed his sheep, and in him they shall find pasture.
26 And because of the righteousness of his people, Satan has no power...for he hath no power over the hearts of the people, for they dwell in righteousness, and the Holy One of Israel reigneth." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 22:24 - 26)

But only on one condition -

"...if it so be that they will repent." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 22:28)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home