Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, November 06, 2017

D&C 63

The Lord warned the saints -

"Wherefore, let all men beware how they take my name in their lips—
62 For behold, verily I say, that many there be who are under this condemnation, who use the name of the Lord, and use it in vain, having not authority."  (Doctrine and Covenants 63:61–62)

In my mind, there are multiple ways to take the name of the Lord in vain.  One being in making sacred covenants in the name of the Lord and then not honoring those covenants.  Elder James E. Talmage explained several ways in that we might take the name of the Lord in vain -

“1. We may take the name of God in vain by profane speech.
“2. We take it in vain when we swear falsely, not being true to our oaths and promises.
“3. We take it in vain in a blas-phemous sense when we presume to speak in that name without authority.
“4. And we take his name in vain whenever we wilfully do aught [anything] that is in defiance of his commandments, since we have taken his name upon ourselves.” (In Conference Report, October 1931, page 53.)

In this same revelation, the Savior declares -

"For this is a day of warning, and not a day of many words. For I, the Lord, am not to be mocked in the last days."  (Doctrine and Covenants 63:58)

We mock him as we fail to keep our covenants.